Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Father and the Son

John 14: 6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
7If you really knew me, you would know
my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
8Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?"

To me, this is the single most important piece of information, not just in the Bible, but in all of the world, in all of history, in all of the cosmos.

It is not about matriarchy vs. patriarchy, or the "gender" of God. It is about the identity of a man named Jesus, who is called the Christ.

Whether homo sapiens arrived at this point in history through acts of specific creation or a process of evolution, our species sits atop the ladder of nature. We possess something unique among creatures that some call the noosphere (soul or psyche), which is above the biosphere (realm of creatures).

Actually, we are like God. We alone among creatures possess certain attributes that are like Him. But we are not complete.

The Son of God represents the pinacle of all that God has done. There is no higher creation. Not even angels can aspire to His station in the cosmos.

On Father's Day we remember our fathers. But I always think of my Heavenly Father as well. And Jesus made the outrageous statement: "I and the Father are the same." To His fellow Jews it was blasphemy.

But when you meditate on this, your mind will be completely blown. It is a staggering realization. Not only is Jesus the ultimate expression of God the Father, He was of the same species we are. We are predestined to share His glory with Him.

This means that all that God has made, the entire universe, every molecule is under Jesus' feet. And He wants to share that position with us.

The key to all truth is faith in Christ. All we must do to enter in is to believe.
Then the purpose of life becomes crystal clear ~ and it is beyond awesome.

Nothing compares.

No comments: