Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Warming Trends and the Apocalypse

Global warming is obviously a big topic these days. And there seems to be a growing scientific consensus that it is a real threat to our planet. In other words, this is not just green propaganda.
Just today there have been reports released that the Chinese are beginning to contribute to the erosion of the upper atmosphere with real gusto. And you probably know how the rest of the story goes: polar melting, oceanic storms, weather anomalies, and the whole doomsday blitz that comes with it.

In fact, we are told, it is already too late to reverse some of it. The present situation will remain as is for a long time to come. We have to do something, we are told, to curb it from becoming worse. For instance, Al Gore will have to back off on his personal electricity consumption.

So, one might ask, Does the Bible have anything on this?

And the only verse I can think of is from that crazy old book of Revelation:

Rev. 16: 8 ~ "The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and the sun was given power to scorch men with fire. They were seared by the instense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him."

In fact, this whole chapter could be used to describe the aftermath of global warming and other contributing factors like thermonuclear war. And it is funny, to me, that in the '90's the seers of apocalypse were Christian fundamentalists; but today they are scientists. There is a genuine fear out there that Mama Earth is on the verge of saying, "All my trials, Lord, soon be over."

To be sure, Revelation has been an influential book on history ~ and to think, it was almost left out of the Bible. Many theologians have disputed it over history: and its enigmas have prompted people and leaders to bizarre actions, like creating wars or gathering somewhere for the end. And some, like Augustine, preferred to basically leave it alone, warning people that it was a symbolic book not to be taken literally.

Still, for me, it was always one of my favorite pieces of literature, absolutely stunning in its scope and imagery. There isn't another apocalyptic writing I've encountered that comes close. So, I'm glad they left it in the Bible: if for no other reason than to entertain me.

Today, though, we see the doomsday prophecies coming from somewhere other than the holy hermits of old. They are emerging from the monasteries of science. And they are blaring from the tube, in glorious high-definition. If these scenarios are true, can we stop them? We sure need to try, say the harbingers.

2 comments:

LA said...

Wow!!! You are a deep thinker... When I hear this stuff, I think hmm, I'm sure this has happened in the past before we were able to gather all this data from the ends of the earth... I like to think that it is a weather "trend" an intricate weather pattern that was created by The Lord, more elaborate than I can wrap my tiny brain around... Maybe I am just living in my "happy place"... Thanks for your thoughts...

Owl said...

See that you be not troubled.

And, I don't know. When I was younger it was a coming ice age we were told to fear. Or overpopulation. Could be, like my wife says, just part of the long weather cycles that tend to warm up for many decades and then cool back down.

Meanwhile, maybe you should think about getting a fuel-cell car next time you're out shopping.