Friday, March 23, 2007

The Secret To Having It All

Now there was a man named Simon, who formerly was practicing magic in the city and astonishing the people of Samaria, claiming to be someone great ~ Acts 8:9

Nor did they repent of their murders, their practice of magic, their fornication, or their thefts. ~ Rev. 9:21

You may have heard about it on Oprah or at the dentist's. Indeed, "The Secret," a best-selling self-help book and DVD, is out. As author and producer Rhonda Byrne says herself, the "secret"--that we create our reality with our thoughts--is nothing new. But it's not easy to digest that every person, thing, and experience in your life is there because, unconsciously or not, you brought it there. Yet using that knowledge to create a dream life is where the juicy fun begins.

"The Secret" gives three steps--"ask, believe, receive"--we offer 10 micro steps to practicing The Secret, an approach also known as "the law of attraction."


So begins an article on the recent best-selling phenomenon titled: The Secret. And what is this secret?

Basically, it is a resurgence of magic in a positive-thinking package and linked up to prayer and meditation. It is not far removed, really, from what some Christian teachers have called "word of faith," which is taking control of reality by speaking to it in faith. It is appealing because people want to get out of their ruts or be healed or make a lot of money. There is also a kind of disturbing God-is-my-bellhop thing going on here.

Magic has been around from ancient times ~ sometimes called "sorcery" or "witchcraft." Basically, magic is more than just illusory art. In its serious form it is an attempt to control reality. Think, for instance, of the voodoo shaman using a doll to control the person whose image the doll represents. And it might be said that Hitler used a kind of magical propaganda control over the masses in Germany. It is getting what you want by applying psychic pressure, or, my favorite definition: MIND OVER MATTER.

I believe in prayer. I know prayer changes things. But I am reluctant to use it for my own gain. I have always felt that, all things considered, all I really need is God, not all the stuff He has made. He takes care of sparrows, He'll take care of me. I mean, God is no idiot. He knows my motives. I'm not a kid twisting my parent's arm: "Lord, I really need a pink Cadillac." I distrust my heart. I know greed is there. Do I approach God with my greedy motives? He'll never know, will He? Maybe I can trick Him into letting me live next to Bill Gates.

So, you can keep your secret, folks; in fact, I wish you would. I don't need it. I already have faith and that's good enough. It has sustained me this far. Having everything I want by applying mental and spiritual pressure is just so not good.

And what do I have once I acquire the perfect life? It soon passes away.

No comments: