Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Losing My Religion

Life is bigger

It's bigger than you

And you are not me

The lengths that I will go to

The distance in your eyes

Oh no I've said too much

I set it up

That's me in the corner

That's me in the spotlight

Losing my religion

Trying to keep up with you

And I don't know if I can do it

Oh no I've said too much

I haven't said enough

I thought that I heard you laughing

I thought that I heard you sing

I think I thought I saw you try


Every whisperOf every waking hour

I'mChoosing my confessions

Trying to keep an eye on you

Like a hurt lost and blinded fool

Oh no I've said too much

I set it up


Consider this

The hint of the century

Consider this

The slip that brought me

To my knees failed

What if all these fantasies

Come flailing around

Now I've said too much


I thought that I heard you laughing

I thought that I heard you sing

I think I thought I saw you try


But that was just a dream

That was just a dream


Lyrics for: Losing My Religion
From the album: Out Of Time
Songwriters: Buck, Peter, Stipe, Michael, Mills, Mike, Berry, William
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: 1990s Alternative, 1990s Soft Rock, Adult Alternative, Soft Rock, The Coffeehouse

"Losing my religion" was something people said when they slipped up and cussed publicly. But, think about it. There was an old song that said, "Gimme that ol' time religion." A catchy song, but what did it really mean? Do we want a solid case of religion or not?

Did Jesus come to establish a religion? Obviously he did establish one: we call it "Christianity." And Christendom is known for good, but it is also remembered for many evils perpetrated by religionists in the name of Christ. Could we learn to avoid the bad stuff? Maybe we need to lose our religion, but keep our faith. Maybe if we lost our religion we would love one another.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your religion is what you believe spiritually, right? If it is a denomination doctrine rather than the teachings of Jesus then maybe we should lose it. But why not look at the cup as being half full and instead of losing what you do have ,why not add to your faith and end up in Love with God and his creation. Pure religion. I have always been one to tear down rather than building up from where ever we are. Building is better than destroying.

Owl said...

Right. The Pharisees were trying to tear Jesus down, right? And they were the highest reps of Judaism, the holiest, most-right guys anywhere. We do the same stuff. In fact, if Jesus actually walked among us, we might reject Him. We'd say, "That ain't God!"

You've been transformed haven't you, bro? Interesting to see where God is taking us with this new perspective.

Anonymous said...

Yea, This is getting to be a real neat journey. I 'll tell you more of site in an email.